Friday 4 February 2011

Something for everyone

This time I hope to have a bit of everything to satisfy most people. To start, whilst typing this blog I like to listen to music and the music I choose myself. I found this great site that states it has over 2 million songs by every artist and it is called Grooveshark. You just choose the artist or title. Also, if you pick an artist and there is an album associated with it  you can highlight this and Grooveshark will play all the titles in the album. At this moment I am listening to ELO, great sounds.

Grooveshark

As you can see, the advertising is in the right panel and so unobtrusive it is easy to forget about it and just enjoy the music.

Most people I guess have an office suite whether it be free or paid for but how many of you remember days past when there was one that ruled the roost? Anyone remember Lotus Symphony? Well it was bought by IBM and is now updated and amazingly free. It is very polished and was, and probably still is, used by businesses, especially Lotus Notes.

lotus

Have you ever wanted to “Have a Presence” on the internet, which lets everyone know who you are and what you are about? Somewhere you can promote your digital self and create your own site and for free? CHI.MP is for you. chimp

I am sure you have heard me speak often about defragging your disk drives. Imagine having a book where some pages are here, some are in the next room and even some upstairs. You will have to walk a lot. I know it sounds silly but that is what a fragmented drive has to do. So it makes sense to defrag a drive and make every bit of data consecutive which will mean the drive does not have to keep searching for the next bit of data and it will also help to extend the life of the disk drive as the drive does not have to do so much work. This program will allow you set a time interval when to defrag your drives, and that means any kind of disc even pen drives and can be run without any intervention from you. The program is called MyDefrag, and here are two screenshots:

mydefrag-1        mydefrag-2

How about taking time out and play an unusual game? This game is like “Tron” and is fought on the Information Super Highway. It is called S.P.A.I and here is a screen shot or two:

spai   spai-2 

I must admit it is a very enjoyable game.

Before I close this blog, I wonder if you, like me, have many pictures on your computer which are duplicated? I do, and the file names are different so making it a hard job sorting out which are duplicates and those which are not. Luckily there is a program which makes all this a breeze and appears to do a search by the actual picture. This is hard to explain and is best shown in these screen shots. You will see that the file names are different but the pictures are identical but also that the file sizes are different.

duplicate finder-1

Finally, been checking out the new Google web browser “Chrome”. Very impressive and so quick to load and load web pages. Like Firefox there are loads of extensions to choose from. Some of my favourites are the IETab, the AdBlocker Plus, the Internet TV,Translate, Weather, Proxy Switcher and CoolIris. The IETab is very useful especially if you go to a web page which only works with Internet Explorer, just click on this extension and it will now load, great for Windows updates which insist on only using IE to view and download. CoolIris allows you to view a gallery of pictures whether it be from the Internet or from your discs but in a very unique way. I strongly recommend that you try it out but I have taken a few screenshots to hopefully show you just what it can do.

cooliris-main chrome  This is the Chrome page where I searched for pictures of Hocking Hills, which for my UK viewers is in Ohio, USA. As you know, to view all these you would have to scroll down the page. With CoolIris extension this is what you can do. You will notice that there is a picture bigger than the rest and there is a little box with an arrow on it, that is the CoolIris bit, so clicking on that gives you these pictures:

cooliris-1 

cooliris-2

cooliris-3

That blue bar you see is what you move to swing this show from left to right or back again but all the pictures are here to see no scrolling down anymore.

Well, that is all for the moment, I hope you enjoyed this blog, please let me know what you think. More in the next blog.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Married to the most wonderful woman

VerveEarth

What Do You Think of The Blogs so far?