Thursday 5 February 2009

Windows7 Beta….update

Well it has been a excruciating long time trying to get things sorted. It appears that my first impression that one can upgrade from Windows XP to Windows7 was incorrect. It would appear that only applies to Vista, but hopefully, when Windows7 starts shipping for real, that Microsoft will have a change of heart and allow us to upgrade from XP. There are still so many people who will not touch Vista and continue to use XP, so who knows?

I also tried to fresh install onto XP but had problems so finally “bit the bullet” and went for a dual boot, one partition XP the other Windows7. This seems to work. I installed the beta version of Internet Explorer 8 on the XP test system. Looks good, uses something called “web slices”. This lets you monitor changes in sites that you would normally have to keep checking. More as I get more acquainted with it.

Windows7 really looks and feels great. Need to thrash it to find any problems. I must admit, downloading is super fast, and that is not just due to the fact that Norton Internet Security is not running. I have found that PCTOOLS free antivirus and firewall works very well with 7. All I need to do now is to start loading programs on it to see what works and what doesn’t. Maybe next blog I can get some pictures of it to show you.

From what I can see so far is that it doesn’t come with an email program but “suggests” you download and install “Windows Live”. We use this already on our live XP system and we really like it. See previous blog on how to download and install it, with pictures all the way.

The one thing I want to try out on 7 is the apparent ability to recognise and identify devices as they are connected. It is supposed to do this without having to install software, we shall see.

My main job now is to load 7 every day and test it out. As I do, I shall update this blog so bookmark it.

 

David

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Married to the most wonderful woman

VerveEarth

What Do You Think of The Blogs so far?