Thursday 22 January 2009

Windows7 Beta… A first look

Well, finally downloaded windows7 Beta. Firstly installed as a new fresh install. Went like a dream, found most of my hardware and no problems with the procedure. It started to download updates immediately and install them, so no problems connecting to internet. All that hands free, no action from me. It found my wireless card and identified it. However, a small gripe. I could not install my software to use the wireless card. What must have happened before was that it must have used the cable I had connected years ago to the router. It said I had to use administrator guidance to install the software but I had administrator rights, so confused on that. Needs investigating. It does not come with any anti-virus software or firewall but have found that PCTools free software installs and works  like a dream, so far.

Now, what does it look like and how does it  feel. It looks just like the aero screen that Vista has, and I must say it looks good. In fact, I would say it looks must better than Vista. It has a much cleaner look and feel about it. It loads very quickly and closes down just as quick. I need to give the system a good bit of “welly” and really thrash it to see how it stands up to brutal punishment.

First looks, I am impressed and so was Sharon but it is early days yet and we shall see what we think of it as the time progresses to August which is when the beta finishes.

It is possible to “upgrade” to Window7 from a previous version of the operating system. That is what I intend to do in the next few days. Will have to format the drive and will put a “Norton Ghost” recovery point onto it, which will be a copy of the latest backup of our live system, which is running on Windows XP professional.  It is supposed to allow you to use all the programs you already have and use. We shall see.  Once we get it running as an upgrade I will try and take some snapshots for you to see.

David

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Married to the most wonderful woman

VerveEarth

What Do You Think of The Blogs so far?