Tuesday 28 December 2010

Nearly a New Year

Before I start I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and I hope that everyone has a fantastic New Year.

Now that the new system has been up and running for well over a month it has given me time to browse my magazines  and I have found some good freebie programs that I think you might like. I have already downloaded and tried them out on our old system with no problems.

The first one is to do with disc drives. We all know that as time goes on we install and uninstall lots of different software and consequently the new software cannot fit into the space left behind by the software we just uninstalled. This results in the software being installed in various places on the disc rather than sequential, that is not in one complete block. This is called fragmentation. I am sure many of you have heard me go on about CCleaner. This program is a must and recommended by other agencies. It is a free program which if you wish you can donate to for further enhancements, but it is not conditional on you. However, the program I am going to suggest to you concerning de-fragmenting your disc drives come from the same stable, Piriform. This program is called Defraggler. To download this program just click on the name. image

The one thing which is different from other defragglers is that this one you can defrag specific files if you wish. I now run this regularly on our disc drives and notice the difference.

From the same stable are two other programs. One is called Recuva.

image

As you can see, you can recover various types of programs.

The other program is Speccy

image

This program will tell you all you need to know about everything in your computer system, even the temperature of the processor cores if you are so inclined.

Are you like me and have quite a few programs installed all using serial codes? It can be quite a bug bear to sort through all the paperwork to find these. With this program you can find all the serial codes to your installed software right from your computer. The program is called LicenseCrawler.

image 

The beauty of this program is that it can be portable.

There is another program which is only for Windows Vista/7. It automatically changes the color of Windows Aero based on the temperature and weather conditions where you are. It is called AeroWeather.

image 

In my next blog I will show you some more programs so enjoy these until next time.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Married to the most wonderful woman

VerveEarth

What Do You Think of The Blogs so far?