Saturday 18 July 2009

Small update about Windows7

It has been some time since my last blog but this has always been an occasional blog.

I have now installed Windows7 RC1. This is the last test version and should be what will be released in October. It stands for Release Candidate 1. The version I have installed is the 64bit version. Most processors nowadays are 64bit so why not have an Operating System using 64bit, it goes much faster than our normal 32bit. The main cause for concern for most people is that the software they have currently installed on their present system is 32bit. I have, and continue to do, is putting our present 32bit software on this system to see if it can be used. So far every program works with some being quite old. I shall continue to put more of our software on to try and find what will not work. This really is a test system so not putting any of our day to day work on it, but using old or substitute work. I really like this system but will not migrate our system work to it but will build a brand new computer and put a bought Windows7 operating system software on it. Then I shall import our system work onto it slowly.

Of course there is one area that might make some people apprehensive about going to Windows7 64bit is their already owned and using devices. I have found that with windows7, it identifies any device connected to it and if it does not already know it has a driver for the device, it will go online to find it and download it without any intervention on the users part. I was amazed that the only device it couldn’t resolve online is with our old Epsom scanner, but that is not a real problem as we need a new one anyway.     

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Married to the most wonderful woman

VerveEarth

What Do You Think of The Blogs so far?